Tuesday, December 26, 2006

24601

Can't beat it. Les Mis is still my all-time favourite musical.

No other musical has so many "epic" songs, each evoking emotion and depth. Even on the crappy teeny tiny London stage and awkward "intimate" seating of the theatre, the musical itself soars beyond the inadequacies of the venue. Just don't get me started on how it sounded like the "live" musicians were off a CD player, or the numerous occasions where I'm convinced the "instrument" was a synthesizer...

I wish it'd come back to Toronto, where the Royal Alex has the grandeur, and the live full orchestra, fitting for the piece.

Still my favourite...

Do you hear the people sing?
Singing a song of angry men?
It is the music of a people
Who will not be slaves again!
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!

Will you join in our crusade?
Who will be strong and stand with me?
Beyond the barricade
Is there a world you long to see?
Then join in the fight
That will give you the right to be free!

Do you hear the people sing?
Singing a song of angry men?
It is the music of a people
Who will not be slaves again!
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!


Other timeless songs...

"...On my own, pretending he's beside me. All alone, I walk with him till morning. Without him, I feel his arms around me, and when I lose my way I close my eyes and he has found me..."

"...God on high, hear my prayer, in my need You have always been there..."

"...I dreamed a dream in time gone by, when hope was high and life worth living..."

"...There is a castle on a cloud, I like to go there in my sleep, aren't any floors for me to sweep, not in my castle on a cloud..."

"...At the end of the day you're another day older, and that's all you can say for the life of the poor. It's a struggle, it's a war, and there's nothing that anyone's giving. One more day standing about, what is it for? One day less to be living..."

"...One day more! Another day, another destiny. This never-ending road to Calvary; These men who seem to know my crime will surely come a second time. One day more!..."

"...This only goes to show what little people can do! And little people know when little people fight, we may look easy pickings but we've got some bite..."

"...Lovely ladies waiting for a bite, waiting for the customers who only come at night. Lovely ladies ready for the call, standing up or lying down or any way at all. Bargain prices up against the wall..."

"...'Master of the house?' Isn't worth me spit! 'Comforter, philosopher' - and lifelong sh**!..."


If you want to sing along but forgot most of the words, there's a good site here.

2 comments:

Rose Petal said...

I can't believe you blogged about the prostitutes against the wall....

But good snippets all the same. Those are pretty much my favourites too!

Eleanor Luk said...

Janey I hope you read the book too; it's by far my favourite book.